Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Online intellectual thievery strikes again

I did a Google search on myself today and found a comment in an article I’d contributed to Investors Business Daily. Later I found the same quote lifted from that article and used in a different article from a motivational speaker. My name was cited but Investors Business Daily – which owns the copyright – was not. I emailed the speaker and asked that he at least quote my entire contribution, instead of only one of the five sentences, which as written, appeared to be his own thoughts rather than mine. An apology arrived within hours and the article has since been updated with the proper quotation marks.

This type of theft happens all the time but at least search technology has advanced to the point that it’s easier to find the offenders.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...